Monday, October 10, 2011

Utah State Fair

Saturday, September 17, 2011
There is a summer reading program here in Utah where kids ages 5-12 can earn free tickets to the state fair. This is the second year that I had the kids participate in the program. Last year we ended up not making it to the fair, so this year I was determined to take them and actually use those tickets! DH was out of town so I braved the fair by myself with the 6 kids. Traffic and parking was an absolute nightmare, but we finally made there! My parents met us down there and we first took the kids to see some of the animals. Kay especially loved this part - wanting to pet everything that she saw!Luckily I thought to bring this wrist strap to put on Kay so she couldn't run off!

After the animal exhibits my parents wanted to go to an indoor exhibit that I didn't think the kids would be interested in so we separated and I went to find a ride for the kids to go on. As part of the reading program, the kids also got a free ticket to use on any of the fair rides. M&M, Luke and Blondie used their ticket on Thunder Bolt:Kitty was indecisive on whether she wanted to ride on it or not and at the last minute I pulled her out of the line because she hadn't made it clear if she wanted to or not. Then she stood next to me while the kids were on the ride and sulked and stomped her foot the whole time because she was mad at me! I was just afraid that with me not being able to go on the ride with her she would have freaked out...

After the ride we went to find a restroom and while the kids were in there I got a call from DH in China! We were able to talk for a few minutes and then the kids and I went to buy some cotton candy. Kay wasn't sure if that was something that should really be consumed so it took a little bit of convincing before she finally tried some - and loved it!At this point we met up with my parents again for a few minutes, then we split to get some food at different places and never met up again. (Cell phone reception was poor and it was really loud there as well.)

After the kids tried a funnel cake we decided to go look for the horses that we still hadn't been able to see. They were separate from the rest of the animal exhibits so we found a map and figured out where they were supposed to be. On our way over there a fair worker in a golf cart drove up to us and told us that there were no horses there anymore - apparently the horse exhibitions had taken place already and the animals gone home. We were a little bummed and turned around to leave. The worker asked me if we were just going to go home now. I said that we probably would and so he reached into his pocket and pulled out a bunch of ride tickets and handed them to me. "Here," he said, "go have some fun." He ended up giving us 40 free tickets to use on rides at the fair (most rides required at least 2-4 tickets per person). I had looked into buying some tickets so the kids could have a little more fun before we left, but they were more money then I wanted to spend.

We probably ended up spending another 2 hours there at the fair, letting the kids enjoy some rides. Luckily, M&M is tall enough that she was able to take Kay on a few rides as well. (On our way to find the horse stalls we stumbled across the kid section of the fair that had a lot more kid friendly rides than we had seen so far. The kids did some bumper cars, a big slide (which they did more than once), a carousel and bounce house for the younger ones, and a fun speedway car ride for all of them. They ended up having a blast! When we first went to the fair Luke was not excited at all about being there and it showed in his face, but in the end he had a lot of fun and was glad that we had gone!

Luke on the left, M&M with Kay in the middle
We got home after 10:00 that night!

0 comments: