Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Halloween 2007

(Note: After trying for 3 days to upload all of these pictures, I have finally been successful! Talk about frustrating...)
This year was one of my easier years for Halloween costumes. Blondie wanted to be a butterfly at first and then changed her mind to a fairy princess but all it required was buying a pair of wings for her and then she wore her ballet leotard with it. Kitty was a ballerina which we already had a ballet leotard & tutu for and Luke was Obi-Wan Kenobi. Luke's costume consisted of a light brown shirt with a belt tie that I made for his birthday party last year and the only thing I had to make was a dark brown overcoat with hood. I found some cheap fabric at Wal-Mart and was able to construct something without any type of pattern. It took me a couple of tries to get the hood looking the way I wanted but I think it ended up looking pretty good - and Luke loved it. I couldn't take a single picture of him without him posing in some type of fighting stance. M&M was my only difficult one because she couldn't decide what she wanted to be. Finally just 2 days before Halloween we were at the grocery store and they had a few costumes there that we looked at and we found one doctor costume that was just the right size and M&M ended up being that for Halloween.

We kept things pretty low key this year and only went to the school parade and then trick-or-treating that night in our neighborhood. Kitty unfortunately ended up being sick so she stayed home most of the evening with me. Kitty threw up at lunchtime and then seemed totally fine for a few hours. Late in the afternoon she ended up falling asleep on the couch (which is very unusual for her). When it was getting close to dinnertime I tried waking her up but she was so tired and not quite herself that I sent DH & the rest of the kids to a neighbors' house for hot dogs (an annual thing that the neighbors do) and told them to check in with us in a little bit to see how Kitty was. Well, when they came back she still didn't appear to be feeling too great so we decided to just leave her at home with me. She loved giving out candy to the trick-or-treaters (except for the bigger "kids") and got mad at me the few times when I didn't let her do it.

After Luke & Blondie got tired DH brought all the kids home & I decided to go out with Kitty to a few houses that they hadn't been to yet with M&M so she could get some candy and experience some trick-or-treating herself this year. I ended up carrying her most of the time and I would put her down when we got to the door of the house. She enjoyed herself & loves candy.

Luckily for us it was a fairly warm evening for Halloween in Utah (our warmest since having kids I think). The kids still wore jackets either over or under their costumes & most of them wore gloves/mittens to keep their hands warm. It also helped that we didn't change the clocks back until after Halloween this year. It was weird having it so light outside at 6:30 or 7 in the evening.

DH's work had a little trick-or-treat activity at their office again this year but it was on the afternoon of Halloween which made it impractical for us to drive all the way down there and then try and get back to our house for dinner & trick-or-treating, so we didn't go this year. (At left is a Halloween haunted house that M&M made at school.)

2 comments:

Vonae said...

Steph- They all look so cute. I still haven't gotten my Halloween pictures up yet. I plan on doing that tonight as long as Lauren falls asleep soon. I wish that we could have done Halloween together the kids would have loved it!

Anonymous said...

I loved the costumes! They're all so cute. You do a really good job, Stephanie. Tell Emily that house is pretty special!