Saturday, November 3, 2007

DH the plumber

This seems to be our year for water problems. On the Monday morning before Halloween I went downstairs to the basement to look in DH's office for something and noticed that the carpet was wet at the bottom of the stairs. The only place that the water could be coming from that I could think of was the storage room right next to the hallway where the water heater and furnace are. I quickly went in the room and noticed that there was water all around the water heater. I quickly called DH downstairs to take a look at it and we found that there was a pin-size hole in the pipe connector between the water intake and the water heater. Water was just shooting out to the side of the pipe. Luckily it was a small hole but we had no idea how long it had been leaking - probably for several days at least to get all of the floor wet and to leak under the wall to the carpet in the hallway. DH tried putting some tape over the hole and we mopped up what we could with towels. Then DH went to work & after I took a shower I turned the water off to the hot water heater so it would quit leaking. DH was able to stop at the store on his way home from work and bought some new connectors and a pipe wrench. I called my dad to see if he had any advice and he said that he would need to take a look at it first. So I invited my parents to come over and carve pumpkins with us and then DH & my dad could look at the water heater. As soon as DH got home from work he started on trying to fix the problem and my dad went down to offer any help he could. Luckily DH was able to replace both connectors without too much difficulty and now we have our hot water back! We are grateful that it ended up being a problem that wasn't too big and that DH was able to fix it himself. It took a couple of days to get the carpet dried out with a fan blowing on it but everything appears to be alright now. (Now he just needs to fix 2 of our toilets that have leaks...)

0 comments: