Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spring is here!

We have had some absolutely beautiful weather lately and I finally took some time to get some yard work done. This week I was able to trim some of the bushes out front, including my rose bush that grows HUGE each year. I think it looks very nice now, especially with the crocuses that are blooming and the other bulbs that are coming up.Yesterday I was also able to start getting the garden ready for planting. I was able to turn over about a third of the soil and get some of the nasty weed roots from last year pulled. Hopefully I can get a jump start on the weeds this year and not have the never ending battle that we struggle with each year.

This is one of my favorite spring bulbs. It's called Chionodoxa. I think I planted these the first year we were in this house and I haven't had to do anything with them since then. I have white, pink and purplish blue varieties.

The kids have been having fun getting out and playing in the yard and on their bikes and scooters. Baby K had a lot of fun out in the garden with me. She had fun playing in the dirt and liked holding the ladybugs that I found. Baby K also has a fascination with watching honeybees. We have had a lot already in the front yard flying from flower to flower and Baby K loves watching them and occasionally tries to touch one... Hopefully she won't keep that up! And hopefully she won't have to discover why that is not a good idea!

0 comments: