Thursday, February 8, 2007

Didn't make it...

Blondie developed a stomach ache and fever last night so I decided not to try going to the capitol this morning. I was able to listen on my computer at home and it was very frustrating listening to those that spoke (both for and against the bill). Those that spoke for the bill were all doctors (of course) and they like to tell horror stories and scare the legislators into believing that everyone who chooses to give birth at home will die (or their baby will). Unfortunately, they are much more organized though than the opposition to the bill. There was very limited time for comments on the bill before the vote was taken and the 3 who spoke for the opposition I thought were not very good people to have speak. One was a man whose wife gave birth at home 8 weeks ago, one didn't state who she was representing (I actually think she is the president of the Utah Friends of Midwives grassroots group) and the third person was a practicing midwife who didn't say if she is licensed with the state or not. I didn't think that any of the 3 gave very persuasive arguments for our side.

Anyways, the bill was voted on and passed out of committee 4 votes to 2. Right now I think it has been sent to the Division of Professional Licensing for fiscal input. Then it will go to the bottom of the list for the Senate Floor to vote on.

0 comments: