Saturday, February 3, 2007

Happy Birthday Luke!

Luke Skywalker turned 6 on Thursday. On Friday we had his party after school at our house (the kids get out of school early on Fridays). It was a Star Wars theme and everyone was so excited. Here is what the invitations looked like:

The picture on the front is a picture of Luke at Halloween time in his Darth Vader costume. I got a lot of ideas for the party & invitations on the internet.

I had a couple of parents tell me that their kids were SO excited when they read the invitation. Boys are so funny at this age because they LOVE play acting Star Wars and similar action shows. I made some very simple costumes for the kids to wear out of fabric I found at Wal-mart for $1 a yard. I also made "training" lightsabers out of posterboard and duct tape. I was hoping to make some out of pool noodles, but I couldn't find them at any stores this time of year. By the end of the party just about all of the lightsabers were destroyed from them playing with them so hard and so much. I think the kids all had a lot of fun except it was a little too rough for one of the girls. Once the organized activities were over I let her leave early since she just lives across the street.

For party favors we gave out light sticks, Star Wars PEZ dispensers, Starburst, Milky Way candy bars and Pop Rocks candy (anyone remember these from when you were a kid?). They also got to take their costumes home.

The party was kind of touch and go this week because we have been battling sicknesses again. Luke stayed home from school last Friday and then again on Wednesday. M&M went in late on Wednesday. When M&M & Luke got home from school on Tuesday, they both took naps (very unusual). Luckily we didn't have any throwing up - just fevers, tired and not a lot of energy. Blondie had a small touch of it on Thursday morning, but Kitty managed to avoid it and everyone was healthy by Friday. The biggest problem with the sicknesses was that I wasn't able to do the shopping and store hunting for the party as early in the week as I wanted to. I had to go to the store on Friday morning to buy the poster board to make the lightsabers - not at all what I wanted to be doing on the day of the party.

One of the kids was a storm trooper for Halloween and wore his costume to the party.


The cake was half a death star with cupcakes around it with little star fighters on toothpicks stuck in them.

Blondie getting into the action too.

Everyone at the party gave Luke a Star Wars toy. The only duplicate was a Star Wars Lego starship.

0 comments: