Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Garden projects


We have put a lot of time and work into our garden this summer. DH was inspired after seeing the sprinkler system at my parents' new house to put in a watering system in our vegetable garden. We have also been wanting to put in a brick path through the garden since we moved into the house. The previous homeowners had a stack of bricks that they left in the garage that they had panned on making a path out of and never got around to it.

This year, I am pleased to say that the path is almost completely finished. We were finally able to lay out the bricks and found out that we were short by a few feet so we had to buy some bricks that were different and try to come up with a pattern that we liked that combined the two types. The bricks that were left were not paver bricks so they had the holes in them. Because of the wasp incident that we had earlier in the summer we decided to put mortar in the holes of the bricks that would be on the outer edge of the path so that we can hopefully prevent a similar incident in the future.

The watering system has also been put in and it has helped tremendously with watering the garden. In previous years I have had to water by hand with the hose which took a lot of time. Now I can go outside, turn it on and let it run however long I want and then turn it off when I'm ready. Thanks DH for all your back-breaking work!

Here is a bird's eye view of our garden

We are growing corn, tomatoes (3 different kinds), potatoes (also 3 different kinds), onions, carrots, cucumbers, watermelon & pumpkin. I had to cut back some on the size of my growing area this year so I could leave room to work on the brick path. We have several watermelons & pumpkins growing right now and I am hopeful that we will be able to get some orange pumpkins this year (last year we only had 2 small green ones by Halloween). My concern right now is that my pumpkin plants are being attacked by squash bugs and no matter how many times I spray the plants with insecticide, they still keep coming back. Squash bugs inject toxins into the vines of the plant which causes it to die... Other than that, the rest of our plants appear to be doing very well. We have a continuous supply of tomatoes & cucumbers and are starting to harvest the corn. This has definitely been a productive summer for us!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pleasure you are getting out of having fresh veggies and fruit is wonderful. I know it's a lot of hard work! Good job to both you and Heath. The walk looks great!

Cherylyn said...

I cannot believe how much that garden has grown since we were there in June! It's amazing!