Monday, August 20, 2007

Opportunities

I have been blessed lately with several opportunities to use my musical talents. Yesterday I played a flute solo for the musical number in sacrament meeting. I was also approached yesterday about singing with several other women in a musical number in a couple of weeks. Shortly after we returned from our trip to Washington, I was asked if I would be interested in singing in a women's choir for the upcoming General Relief Society Meeting in September. Of course I said yes, how many opportunities like that does someone get? The choir is composed of women from the stakes in our area. They are only asking 2-3 altos and 2-3 sopranos from each ward. We had our first rehearsal yesterday and will practice the next few Sundays leading up to the conference. We will also have a dress rehearsal at the Conference Center the Saturday preceding the conference. The lady who will be conducting us is Merrilee Webb who works for the church helping to put together groups like ours. She is a very energetic and fun director to work with. We also had Sister Barbara Thompson of the General Relief Society presidency attend on rehearsal and speak to us for a few minutes yesterday. So be sure to watch the conference on Sept. 29 and look for me!

I was also called a couple of weeks ago and asked if I would be interested in playing my flute for a Christmas choral concert that our city sponsors. They started the group 2 years ago and they rehearse for a few months and then put on a Christmas concert. They already have one flute player who played with them last year, but they need a second one this year as well as a piccolo. I will definitely have to start practicing more if I'm going to play the piccolo. It's not as easy to pick up and play on a moment's notice (especially since I haven't really played mine since college). My only problem with playing with the choir is that most of the rehearsals are on Wednesday evenings which is when our youth groups meet. I won't need to be at rehearsals until towards the end so I can hopefully work something out (plus they just called a second Beehive advisor since our group is getting so big). I would love to sing with the choir on the numbers that I'm not playing on, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to work that out. I think my parents are going to try out the choir as well so it should be fun!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Stephanie! What wonderful opportunities coming your way! Hope you're able to work everything out.