Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Success!!

After several years of trying, I am happy to say that we finally did it!! We were actually able to grow corn in our garden this year! Ever since we moved into this house that has a huge garden area on the side, DH has wanted to grow corn in it. Our soil is very nitrogen deficient and that's one of the things that corn needs heavily to be able to grow. So finally after several months of sweat and labor (and lots of nitrogen) I picked our first two ears of corn on Saturday. We ate them with dinner on Sunday and it was delicious! I had bought some corn at the store on Friday that I cooked as well and it wasn't nearly as good as our garden corn! I staggered the planting of our corn so that it wouldn't all be ready to harvest at the same time, so I am excited and looking forward to some more delicious corn throughout the season!

2 comments:

Vonae said...

wow- your garden sounds great! We had a ton of raspberries, getting cucumbers, we have on large orange pumpkin, and one very small watermelon, carrot and onions. I think that it will take a few years to really figure it all out like you did. Good job and the walk way looks great!
Vonae

Cherylyn said...

That corn does look yummy! I am sad we don't have a cool garden like you guys, but at least if and when I ever have one, I will have experts I can turn to for advice!