Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Reach the Beach take 2

There has been a lot going on lately (plus having a newborn around) and I have fallen behind in my blogging so bear with me as I try and catch up...

Two weekends ago DH went up to his parents' home to participate in the Reach the Beach bike ride in Portland, OR again. DH rode in it 2 years ago with his dad & brother so this was their second time. It is a 100 mile bike ride from Portland to the beach.

The ride was on Saturday, May 17 and it was not without incident again this year. Two years ago DH forgot his bike shoes at his parents' house and they had to go back to get them so they got to the starting point late. Well, this year they had an even later start because no one realized that the starting point was different from 2 years ago and it took them a while to figure out where the new location was (after showing up at the old location and seeing that no one was there).

DH did great though and his knee only bothered him a little bit compared to the last time. He said that the biggest problem was that they spent the whole ride trying to play catch up and they were never really able to get a good rest at any of the stops because of it. His only battle scar from the ride (other than being sore all around) was a pretty bad sunburn right above his sock line on his left leg - apparently it was the only spot that he missed and they had extremely hot weather for the ride - upper 90s.

While DH was out of town the kids and I went to spend Saturday & Sunday at my parents house. We went to the kids' soccer games on Saturday morning and then packed up and headed over to my parents house. Even though it was a pain to pack everything up for just one night it was nice to have some extra help with the kids and meals. Also their ward meets at 1 p.m. on Sunday and mine meets at 9 a.m. - I wasn't sure how successfully I would be able to get all of the kids up and ready for church by 9 a.m. with DH not around. Plus I wasn't sure how the kids would do in Sacrament Meeting if I had to go out to feed Baby K during it.

0 comments: