Thursday, January 8, 2009

Peanut Blossom

On Monday Luke and I made some cookies for FHE using my new mixer and the cookie paddle attachments. I just threw all of the ingredients in the bowl, turned it on, scraped the sides of the bowl once with a spatula and then we were done. I was going to take a picture of the cookies stacked nicely on a serving plate, but I forgot to and now there is only one left - this is one of our family's favorite cookies.

While we were making the cookies Luke asked if he could crack the egg. I said "sure" and then stood back and watched. He hit the egg on the side of the bowl rather timidly and then finally hit it harder to get the shell to crack. Then he tried to stick his thumbs in the crack to open the egg and it happened quicker than he was expecting and he quickly dropped the egg, shell and all, into the bowl so he wouldn't get it all over his hands... Luckily I was able to get all the shell out without any problem.

Then I was measuring out the peanut butter and Kitty was watching me. After a minute she asked, "You're not going to put that in the cookies are you?" I said, "Yes, why not?" Then she replied, "That's disgusting!" I then had to inform her that these were peanut butter cookies and that's what you put in them. To which she responded, "Okay." When I gave her some cookie dough to try later on she was a little bit hesitant at first but really liked it after she had a taste.

Here is the recipe for anyone that would like it:

Peanut Blossoms from the book Pillsbury: The Complete Book of Baking
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
48 milk chocolate candy kisses

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In large bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the candy kisses. Blend at low speed until stiff dough forms. Shape into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately top each cookie with a candy kiss, pressing down firmly so cookie cracks around edge; remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely.
Yield: 4 dozen cookies

0 comments: