Sunday, July 5, 2009

July 4th Activities

We started out the 4th with our neighborhood parade again. This is a really enjoyable activity for the kids - they love decorating their bikes and helmets and dressing up in red, white and blue. My parents came over for the parade and the neighborhood pancake breakfast immediately following. It was perfect weather with a slight breeze and cloudy skies. We were wondering if it would rain, but it didn't.
After breakfast I set up 2 wading pools in the backyard and let the kids play in them in the afternoon. This was Baby K's first experience with the pools this season and she had a blast. I filled up a smaller pool for her so she could play without the older kids splashing her. I was a little worried about whether she would like it or not because lately she has not enjoyed taking baths - she has been trying to stand up in the tub lately and has taken a couple of spills that have traumatized her... So I introduced Baby K to the pool slowly and she finally just climbed in and sat down. She had fun splashing and throwing toys in the water. At one point, DH came out to watch and when Baby K decided that she had had enough she reached up for him and gave him a big, wet hug.
After the swimming we had dinner with my parents at our house and then had homemade strawberry ice cream and my annual flag cake. Then we left for the fireworks show. Unfortunately the show started really, really, really late and we were exhausted by the time we got home. Baby K stayed awake for the whole show and didn't complain once about the loud noises or bright lights. She's such a trooper!I let Baby K eat some of my corn on the cob, but she wanted to hold it and feed it to herself!

Waiting for the fireworks show to start...

Did I mention that the show started really, really , really late??? 4 of the 5 kids were asleep by the time we got home - I'm not sure how Blondie could sleep like that!!

0 comments: