Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween Costumes 2009

This year we weren't able to make it down to DH's work and we didn't even have a ward Halloween party, so Halloween was a little bit low key this year. The kids went back to school the week of Halloween and the school had its annual Halloween parade on Friday morning. I took Kitty and Baby K with me to the school to watch the parade and then we went to Blondie's class to help with their Halloween party.



M&M decided she wanted to wear a poodle skirt this year and dress in 50s costume. I was able to make her a cute poodle skirt that was really pretty easy. I also bought her some new shoes to wear with the costume and she wore a sweater and belt of mine to complete the look. I think it turned out pretty good!





Luke wanted to be Darth Maul this year, but I had a hard time finding a costume that didn't cost a fortune so he did Anakin Skywalker (from The Clone Wars animated series) instead. I told him that I could make him a long black hooded cloak and paint his face like Darth Maul's, but he decided not to since he wouldn't be allowed to wear it to school anyways. The Anakin costume came with a mask but he opted not to wear it (and he kind of looks like Anakin anyways). Plus they're not allowed to wear masks or full face paint to school...

Blondie chose Belle from Beauty and the Beast and wore a costume I made for M&M a few years ago. It's nice to be able to reuse costumes some years. Blondie really wanted to have brown hair for her costume so I tried finding a wig for her and had the hardest time finding a good one. Most Halloween wigs out there are blonde hair, black hair or something really weird - like green or hot pink. I ended up buying one that I thought might look cute but in the end I preferred Blondie without it.

We found a very cute Disney Store Cinderella costume at the D.I. this year for Kitty. The Cinderella dress was a little see-through on the bottom half so I bought some fabric to make her a slip to wear underneath. When I was making the slip for Kitty's costume, I brought it out for her to try on and Baby K started throwing a fit because she wanted to wear it!! So I put the slip on Baby K when Kitty was finished with it and Baby K started dancing and twirling around the room! It's amazing how quickly the younger kids pick up on what their older siblings do!!

Baby K modeling Kitty's new slip...

Since M&M's skirt was so easy to make I decided to try making one for Baby K since she had so much fun twirling around in Kitty's slip. I had some scrap felt around the house and was able to make the cutest little poodle skirt for Baby K! She wore it to school on Friday, but I just had her wear an older pumpkin costume for trick-or-treating because it is a warmer costume. I also decided to wear a poodle skirt to the school party that I had made several years ago for another Halloween. It was kind of fun to dress up again and the kids loved it.
Practicing for trick-or-treating by brushing her teeth and carrying around a bucket!
Keeping those teeth nice and clean!
Getting ready to test out jumping in the poodle skirt!
Concentrating...
And jump!!
And a cute smile on her face while watching Elmo Says Boo!
Sorry, I couldn't resist including all these cute pictures of Baby K!! Just the day before this she came upstairs to the kitchen and was saying "Elmo" and pointing downstairs. I asked her if she wanted Elmo and she said, "Boo". She was asking to watch Elmo says Boo! It is so cute watching her learn and grow so much every day!!

0 comments: