Friday, April 29, 2011

Spring break

I struggle when it comes time to blog about a family trip. There are just so many things that I want to include that it becomes overwhelming at first to tackle the task. This trip has been no different. We took many, many pictures and did so much each day that I want to make sure that I don't leave out anything important!! Well, here goes - our latest family trip (and it will be in several blog posts):

The kids finally had a couple of days off of school at the same time so DH and I decided to head down to St. George for a couple of days. We invited my parents to come along with us so we ended up getting two hotel rooms in the same hotel and having a couple of the kids stay with them in their hotel room.

Things were crazy leading up to our departure day with Kitty's birthday and me trying to sew Easter dresses/skirts for FIVE girls this year... We also had the piano recital and of course it is soccer season again - with three kids playing like in the fall. We also had our van that is up for inspection this month and of course tax returns! (And we ran into a last minute snag with our online federal tax return that took me an hour or two the Monday before our trip to get figured out.) I also had signed up at the beginning of the school year to help out in Kitty's kindergarten class spring party which was held the day before we left and took another several hours out of my day.

The Tuesday evening before we left I went to do some last minute errands and shopping and left each of the kids with a packing list for their own items. I was still left to pack for me, my husband, Kay and MJ, plus all of the extra family items and food that we would need. One hard part of packing for the trip was trying to find swimsuits for everyone and also some clothes for the warmer weather down in St. George. The forecasted temperature for St. George was in the upper 60s-low 70s and we are still mostly in the 50s-60s here now (although today we are in the 40s).

The elementary school kids were getting out of school early on Wednesday (April 20th) and then they were all off of school for the Thursday, Friday and Monday surrounding Easter. So we decided to leave Wednesday after school and stop to pick DH from work on our way. I was totally swamped trying to get everything packed and all of the errands that needed to be taken care of before we left town! We finally left the house a little after 4:00 and after making a quick stop at the post office to mail a package, we met up with my parents and then drove to DH's work to pick him up. We quickly made some sub sandwiches in the car for dinner and then left for St. George. (MJ absolutely hates being strapped into her car seat and ended up crying/screaming about half of the drive.) We got to our hotel a little after 10 pm and then after getting everyone situated in the rooms, we hit the sack.

0 comments: