Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Garden harvests

This year our garden was so-so.  Not our best year but also not our worst year.  We ended up getting a TON of tomatoes this year and a surprise success for us was our first large watermelons!  When I was planting the garden I bought a few watermelon plants to try and I thought that I had bought all the same ones.  Well, after the different plants started growing and the watermelons started appearing, I was confused on why two of the plants were putting out much smaller, dark green skinned watermelons without the typical stripes on them.  At one point one of the plants died after a large wind storm that pulled it from the ground.  So I decided to pick the watermelons from the plant and try cutting into one of them.  I was surprised that it was a very nice pink color inside and had a fairly sweet taste.  The only downside to it was that it had a TON of seeds that took forever to pick out!  After looking at my watermelon plants once again I noticed that I still had the plant labels in the ground near the plants and discovered that the smaller watermelons were actually "Sugar Baby" watermelons and they are a round fruit that only weights 8-10 pounds.

Two of our Sugar Baby watermelons
The first watermelon cut open
One of the biggest, most perfect looking tomatoes that we have ever grown!
Sugar Baby watermelon #2

0 comments: