Thursday, December 6, 2007

Ballet Class

Since Blondie loves princesses and anything girl related, I thought that she would love taking a ballet class. M&M took a ballet/tap class at about this same age, my only problem has been finding a class and teacher that I thought would work for our schedule. I finally found a morning class that taught ballet once a week and was at a reasonable price and distance from our house. She started taking them in September every Tuesday morning through our city rec center. I was hoping to find a combined ballet/tap class like M&M had, but they were all offered in the afternoons and I wanted to do it while the older kids were in school to simplify my life a little.

It's been a little hard on Kitty because she loves to dance and get dressed up as well, so each week I get them both dressed in ballet outfits and then I bring toys or coloring books for Kitty to play with while the class is going on (the class is for 3-4 year olds). Luckily it is only a half hour class so Kitty does just fine playing by herself during that time.

The first class was pretty interesting because I wasn't sure how Blondie would respond to being left in the room with a teacher and girls that she didn't know. There ended up only being one other girl there that week so I stayed in the class with Blondie and the teacher let Kitty participate as well. Kitty actually participated more than Blondie did - it was pretty cute to watch. The teacher would come around and help all the girls to put their arms and legs in the correct positions and Kitty would let her do it and stay in the positions. Blondie on the other hand pretty much clung on to me the whole time with her two fingers in her mouth.

The following week Blondie didn't want me to leave the room, but I didn't want to stay there because I seemed to be making things worse. So I left the room with Kitty and we watched through the windows. Blondie didn't participate too much at first and it was a little frustrating because she would be so excited the night before for her ballet class and then she would just sit there in the class. She finally loves the class now and has a good time with the other girls in it. It's been a good experience for her. They are now getting ready for their Christmas recital which will be on December 15th.

2 comments:

Kami said...

What time is the recital on the 15th?

Steph said...

Alicia's recital is at 7 p.m. and Emily has a tumbling performance that same day at 9 in the morning.