Tuesday, December 4, 2007

It's a...

baby!
Sorry, you'll have to wait until the baby is born to find out what it is. I went to my appointment with my midwife on Wednesday morning and she was able to call the hospital and schedule my 20 week ultrasound for us for the next day. So we went in on Thursday afternoon and everything appears to be just fine with the baby. We told the tech upfront that we didn't want to know what we were having (we haven't found out with any except the first two). Luke was asking part way through if it was a boy and we told him to watch the monitor to see if he could tell. The tech then told us that she hadn't even tried to look because she was afraid that she would accidentally give it away (i.e. saying, "There's his/her hand").

The measurements were all right on for when my due date is. The baby was being kind of shy with its head down really low and its face towards my lower back. It also had one hand up by its face the whole time so we weren't able to get any good profile or face shots.

We had the kids there with us and I had a hard time trying not to laugh at their comments (try lying flat on your back and not moving your stomach when you laugh). At one point DH was talking to the kids about the "water" that the baby is in inside of me and he asked the kids if any of them knew what it was called. Blondie piped up and said, "Crater Lake?" We then had to explain to the tech what she was talking about and it took a minute or two for me to stop laughing on that one.

The ultrasound tech really liked this picture because it looks like the baby is making the sign for I Love You with its right hand.

According to their best estimates, the baby weighs about 13 oz at this point and the head measures about 2 inches across. It's amazing to me that the baby can be so small still and yet I feel such big kicks and movements every day.

2 comments:

vnielson said...

Congrats! I'm glad to hear that everything looks good. Kids can be so funny and they don't even know it. I think that is why it's so funny.

Anonymous said...

That' really amazing. Are you sure that's a baby?