Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Differences

Having 5 kids it is so interesting to see the differences between each of the kids and what motivates each of them. Recently I started up a reward system for the kids. We decided that we didn't just want to give them an allowance every week for chores that they should be expected to do as a member of our family and one of my visiting teachers told me some time ago about a reward system that she does with her kids. It sounded like a good idea to me and so I adapted to fit our family and then bought some gold tokens at the store for the rewards. The way it works is that when the kids do extra chores or do an extra good job at something then they get rewarded with tokens that they collect and can trade in for money or other rewards (i.e. candy, time on the GameCube or computer, getting toys back that were taken away). I can also take tokens away as a form of punishment.

So far we are still getting used to the system and ironing out problems with it. The kids had been bugging me for a while to let them trade in their tokens for other things and finally one Friday after school I agreed to let them trade. Luke immediately counted up his tokens and asked for money for it (he wants to buy some toys at the store) and at the same time Blondie took out a handful of her tokens and wanted candy for hers. M&M traded in 2 of hers for some candy and is saving the rest. Kitty was somewhat oblivious to what we were doing and of course Baby K is a little too young. I just thought that it was interesting to see the differences between the kids' responses. It definitely fits their personalities - Luke is obsessed with "things" and money, Blondie loves treats and snacks, and M&M likes to save up what she has earned. BTW - Blondie was the first to finish her Halloween candy...

I have yet to figure out how to motivate Kitty. I think she is without question my most difficult child. She is 3 1/2 already and I still can't motivate her to get potty-trained even. She was doing great before she got sick and now it feels like we're back at square one. She'll do really good one day and seem excited about it and then the next day she has no interest to use the bathroom. She gets a treat whenever she does something in the potty and we already picked out and bought a toy that she wanted that she gets when she is fully potty-trained, but so far those haven't been motivation enough. (And my older kids don't think it's fair that she gets a treat every time she uses the bathroom and they don't... Ha Ha kids!!)

1 comments:

Cheryl said...

Levi was tough to potty train too. I begged, pleaded and rewarded. How about going naked? That did it for Ellie and Sam, but it is a bit warmer! Utah: brrr. My blood has definitely thinned down here. When they have no clothes on they certainly notice it more. Of course that means more mess for mom to "help" them clean up too.

Cheryl