Friday, November 21, 2008

New calling... again...

Once again I have been given a new calling in our ward. I was in my primary pianist calling for about 9 months - 2 of which I took off when Baby K was born. I was just starting to feel really comfortable playing for the primary and chorister and really enjoying being in the primary. The week before our ward primary program my husband told me in Sacrament meeting that one of the counselors in the bishopric wanted to me with the two of us after church. Since my husband recently got a new calling as the finance clerk in our ward I was fearful that this was going to be a new calling for me. I was totally surprised by the new calling though and right now I have to say that I am having a hard time getting excited about it. And in case you're keeping count, this is my 5th calling since we've been in the ward - a little over 5 years. (They did let me stay as pianist until the primary program was over which was nice.)

My new calling is a den leader for the cub scouts - the bear den, which is 9 year olds. When the calling was extended to me, I was basically told that I was being given this calling because the primary presidency knew that I was dependable and would do my best to get it done. (So I guess my downfall lately is that I am too dependable...) My co-leader is another lady in the ward who has 4 kids and her husband is out of town for work a lot. So between the two of us we have 9 kids with M&M being the oldest at age 10.

There are about 5 boys in our ward that are in the troop and about half of them come. At my first den meeting the old leader wanted to finish up what he was working on with the boys so we could get a feel for how things are run. So the other new leader and I showed up and he was showing us the info that he had and gave us some materials and then he said that he wasn't feeling well and was going to go home and leave us in charge... It definitely would have been nice to know that ahead of time. There were 2 boys that showed up that night and they were finishing up the basketball belt loop. One of the requirements was to play in a basketball game. So we played 2-on-2. The boys against the leaders (that's what they wanted to do). Our biggest advantage was that we were so much taller than the boys. And unfortunately one of those 2 boys was a nonmember who just moved out of the state this week.

Basically the other leader and I are the blind leading the blind and have no experience whatsoever with cub scouts so this should be an interesting learning experience to say the least... Plus most of the other leaders are new, including the Cub Master, so they don't know what we're supposed to be doing either...

1 comments:

Cherylyn said...

I think you will be great at the calling!