Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter 2010

This year I picked out patterns to make my girls Easter dresses over a month in advance. I bought the patterns and fabric when it went on sale and then promptly brought it all home and then didn't do anything with it until about a week ago. I finally cut the fabric out last Saturday and then started the sewing on Monday. The hardest part this year was that all of the patterns I picked out for the girls were tiered dresses/skirts that had a lot of pieces that you had to gather and fit together. So it called for a lot of busy work just to get them together. I finished them all up yesterday and we even had time to make some matching flower barrettes.

This year I also had a helper - M&M. She expressed interest in learning how to sew when she came with me to the fabric store to help pick out the fabrics for the dresses. Thankfully there were a lot of straight lines that needed to be sewn that I was able to let her help on. I even had her do some ironing and a little bit of serging as well. I also had her take out some of the basting stitching and cut stray threads that needed cutting. I think she really enjoyed helping out.

The girls all loved their dresses and I think they turned out rather cute! The only problem I had was with Baby K's dress. Her dress turned out a little too big and when I put it on her it looked like she was a tiered cake. My husband suggested I put some ties on the dress and I thought that sounded like a good idea so I gave it a try. I had enough leftover fabric to cut out some ties for the dress and attached them at the side seams. Once we put it on her it really helped add some shape to the dress. She has been wearing it all day today and loves jumping up and down in it. The fabric for the dresses is kind of stiff so they poof out really easily and the younger girls love twirling around in them.

We have enjoyed watching General Conference this Easter weekend and were looking forward to going to my parents' house for dinner, an Easter egg hunt and birthday cake for my mom, but my mom ended up coming down with a touch of pneumonia so we decided to put it off for a day or two until she is feeling better. We also had snow again this morning so hopefully the weather will be warmer tomorrow for our egg hunt.Blondie and Kitty's dresses were made from the same pattern - just different sizes and a different color fabric.It felt kind of weird not going to church on Easter, so I just had the kids dress up in their Easter outfits for the morning session of conference and then we took a few pictures and let them change if they wanted to. M&M was the only one who ended up changing. I couldn't even get Baby K to take her shoes off for her nap...

And I was reminded by one of the girls that next year I will have to make FIVE dresses...

0 comments: