Sunday, October 31, 2010

The story behind the costumes

I initially had no plans to make any costumes this year - at least not for Blondie, Kitty and Kay. Blondie and Kitty had decided that they were going to be witches and we have several costumes that would have fit Kay this year. We also already had one witch costume so I was just planning on buying another one for one of the girls. Then I made the mistake of letting Kitty go into the fabric store with my mom to buy a pattern for my sister and she came back out and mentioned that she had seen a cute fairy costume pattern - I was out in the car feeding MJ at the time. I thought about it for a minute and thought that that would be the perfect costume for the three girls because they are obsessed with the TinkerBell movies lately. I sent them back in to buy the pattern (it was on sale for 99 cents) and then I looked it over and had the girls pick which fairy they would like to be. So here we were with about 3 weeks to Halloween and I all of a sudden had 3 costumes to sew (and buy all of the fabric for).

Thankfully my mom came over several times last week to help me out and even took some of Blondie's costume home to sew at her house. I tweaked the pattern a little and added a sleeve to it so they would be a little more modest. They were all mostly finished by the school parade day on Friday (just a hook I needed to sew on two of them that I did on Saturday - we just pinned it on Friday). Thankfully we had two sets of wings already and just needed to buy one more (which Kay then didn't even like wearing). I think they turned out really cute and the girls have enjoyed playing in them! I just need to remember next year to not get myself into that same situation so close to Halloween (especially when I have a newborn around the house)!

1 comments:

Marilee said...

Good job on the costumes. I had a hard enough time just making 1 costume, I wouldn't have tried to do 3!