Monday, May 7, 2012

First overnight scout campout

Friday, April 27, 2012

Luke attended his first overnight scout campout!  It was organized by our scout district so there were a lot of boys involved.  Unfortunately his specific group got there a little too late in the evening on Friday so they missed out on some of the organized activities.  It also turned out to be a very chilly weekend and the temperature that night got down in the 30s.  Before he left I was trying to get Luke to take one of the bigger sleeping bags but he wanted to take a smaller one so luckily I was able to talk him into taking two of the smaller ones so he could double them up if he needed to.  He said he woke up at about 3:00 in the morning and was freezing so he got out the second sleeping bag.  And he and his friend noticed when they woke up in the morning that one of the tent flaps had been left open which didn't help either.  When they got up they saw that there was some frozen ice on the side of the tent where his friend had been sleeping.  I sent him with a tin foil dinner to cook over the fire when they got there (which he wasn't too excited about but turned out pretty good).  Luke was pretty excited that he got to help build and start the fire for breakfast in the morning.  I'm glad that he has some good friends in his patrol (?) to help make these experiences a little more enjoyable for him.  I love camping, but it is hard to do with little kids so I haven't pushed our family to camp very often.  It is just a lot of work for me with the ages that the kids are at.

All I can say is that I didn't sleep too well that night, partly because I was worried about whether he was warm enough or not!  After he left I kept thinking of things that we had forgotten to pack for him.  Thankfully they camp in groups so hopefully between all of them they have everything they might need!  I don't feel like I'm quite ready for all of this scouting stuff!  Hopefully I will have it all down and figured out before Luke graduates from High School!!

0 comments: