Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Hummingbirds

Blondie is doing a report for school on hummingbirds. Tonight I was outside pulling some weeds and the younger 4 girls were outside with me. Blondie was watching MJ and all of a sudden she was yelling at me that she saw a hummingbird. At first I thought that she was just mistaking another bird for a hummingbird because she really wanted to see one. When she called out again that she saw it I looked over where she was and saw something that looked like a dragonfly from where I was standing. Whatever it was flew up into the tree next to our driveway and stopped flying. I walked over to the tree for a closer look and there sitting on a branch in the middle of the tree was a small, black hummingbird!! It was just sitting there turning its head back and forth with a beak that looked about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long! I told Blondie to run in the house and get the camera for me. When she came back a minute later I got the camera ready to take a picture and the hummingbird started flying around again, zooming back and forth next to the tree. Then it landed up high in the tree somewhere and after walking all the way around the tree and looking closely we still couldn't see it. When we got back over to the driveway the hummingbird started flying again and this time it was almost dive bombing right at our heads, back and forth. It was acting like it was protecting something so I told the kids to back up from the tree and it continued to fly back and forth several times and then flew somewhere across the street and we didn't see it again. I looked all around the tree branches for a possible nest somewhere, but didn't see anything. It was pretty cool how fast it was flying and the noise that the wings made as it was zooming back and forth around the tree. Blondie was so excited and can't wait to tell her class about it when she gives her report next week. I'm just bummed that I wasn't able to get a picture of it. We are all going to watch that tree closely over the next few days to see if the bird reappears.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Here's a fun hummingbird fact: because a hummingbird's metabolism is so high, they can't sleep like other animals, they would starve to death! So they go into a hibernation-like state (called "Torpor") at night in order to conserve energy. Their heartbeat goes from its usual 1260 beats per minute to 50 beats per minute! Some even hang upside down while in this state (from http://www.worldofhummingbirds.com/sleep.php).

Steph said...

We actually watched a Nature show on a PBS station that talked about their sleep. It was pretty interesting and showed (using heat sensors) how much their body temperature drops while they are sleeping.