Monday, September 29, 2008

Give said the little stream...

A couple of weeks ago our primary chorister started teaching the kids the words to the song "Give said the little stream". According to her (and the info she was able to find) we have all learned the song incorrectly. If you look in the current Children's Songbook and even the old ones that my mom has, these are the words:

“Give,” said the little stream,
“Give, oh! give, give, oh! give.”
“Give,” said the little stream,
As it hurried down the hill;
“I’m small, I know, but wherever I go
The fields grow greener still.”

I still am having a hard time believing that we have all learned it incorrectly and that it was never published with the words, "the grass grows greener still". My husband and parents are having a hard time believing it as well, but I have yet to find a printed version that has those words that we all learned growing up in the church. So I would like to know if any of you have learned the song with the word "fields" in it or if you have a copy with the word "grass" in it.

2 comments:

Cherylyn said...

I also learned that it was grass and not fields. Weird! I did a little searching around on the internet, but only saw on a forum that someone said that it was changed from fields to grass and then back to fields after someone thought that having grass could be construed as a reference to marijuana. Seems stupid, but that's all I could find.

Cherylyn said...

P.S. Cute background on your blog!