Friday, May 29, 2009

Egg drop

While DH was on his biking trip, the kids' elementary school sponsored an egg drop contest. The kids at the school met their reading goal for the year and so the principal and vice-principal had to spend the day on the school roof. To help pass the time they decided to hold the egg drop contest. So the Monday before the contest the kids brought home fliers about it and had a list of rules to follow. We briefly discussed if the kids wanted to participate in it and then we completely forgot about it until Thursday after school (the day before the contest). Unfortunately, that was the day that my husband left for his bike trip and then after school Luke had soccer practice and then I had a food storage cooking class that I was attending that same evening. So, I pulled out a bunch of shoe boxes and materials for the kids to use in constructing their egg holders and then left them on their own (I took Baby K with me). The kids had to design a container for a raw egg to be put in that would be dropped/thrown/kicked from the school roof. When I came home, M&M and Blondie were pretty much done with theirs and Luke was still deciding on a design for his. So I suggested a few things and then he made it himself. Out of all of the designs I thought that M&M's egg had the best chance of surviving the drop. Well, the next day when the kids got home from school I found out that Blondie and Luke's eggs had survived and M&M's didn't! Apparently we didn't secure the lid good enough on M&M's box and so as soon as it hit the ground, the lid popped off and the egg bounced out and broke! It was a good experience for them all though and I'm glad that they were able to work on them on their own and help each other out without my help.

0 comments: