Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Father/Son Campout

Friday, May 15
So far my husband hasn't been able to take Luke to the annual Father/Son Campout because of scheduling conflicts and this year was no different. The campout always seems to fall on the weekend of the Reach the Beach bike ride that my husband has done for a few years now. The Saturday before the campout we were at one of the kids' soccer games and mentioned to my dad that Luke would be missing the Father/Son campout again and my dad offered to take him. So we thought about it and discussed it some more and decided to let him take Luke this year. This year the campout was run by the stake and was in cabins at the church's girls camp facilities in Heber Valley. The campground is open to other groups until school is out of session. The cabins are equipped with bunkbed frames and bathroom and shower facilities in neighboring buildings. Before Luke got home from school on Friday I made up a list for him of things to pack and he took it all very seriously and it was fun watching him go around with the list collecting the various items and packing them himself in a duffle bag. After we were all packed I took the kids with me over to my parents' house and Luke and my dad headed off to the campout.

It sounds like they had a good time and my dad was impressed with the other kids in the ward that are Luke's age because they're all pretty good kids. Luke is on a Harry Potter kick lately and he and a couple of other boys had a lot of fun staging some little battles at the campout. On Friday they made s'mores at the campfire and at one point my dad suggested to Luke that he should go in the cabin and change his shorts (it was getting pretty cold out). So Luke proceeded to go into the cabin and came out a few minutes later in a different pair of shorts! Apparently he just thought that he was supposed to change his shorts, not realizing that maybe he should change into LONG PANTS instead of another pair of shorts!
Saturday morning the stake provided breakfast and then the boys paired up to make bottle rockets out of 2-liter soda bottles. After that Luke and my dad tried out the paddle boats and canoes on the lake there. My dad took his camera and took a few pictures - but I wish I had a picture of Luke and my dad together...
While the boys were camping out, M&M, Blondie and Kitty spent the night with Grandma S. at her house. Baby K and I stayed for dinner and a movie and then we went home to sleep in our own beds. We met up with the rest of the girls again the next day at M&M's soccer game. And unfortunately I don't have any pictures because DH and my dad had the cameras!!

0 comments: