Thursday, February 3, 2011

Restart?

Today is one of those days where I would like to go back to bed and hit the restart button on the day!! First off I have been trying to move MJ out of our bedroom and into the crib (sharing a room with Kay). Last night I put her down asleep in the crib and she woke up once and I got up and fed her and laid her back down. Then she woke up a second time (she's suffering from a cold right now) and this time it woke Kay up as well. For the past couple of weeks, Kay has been waking up in the middle of the night a couple of times a week and coming into my room to crawl into bed with me. Unfortunately some times Kay manages to wake up MJ because she is crying as she tries to find me in the dark and then I have to get up with MJ. Last night I was commenting to DH that it had been a couple of days since Kay has woken up and that it was nice to get a little more sleep. Well, last night when I got up with MJ the second time, Kay also woke up and had to follow me downstairs. Kay ended up waking up her dad as well because she went back upstairs to her room to find a blanket to bring down to the couch and DH woke up to her crying in her room because she couldn't get a blanket. I guess she finally managed to get one off of her bed because she came back downstairs and then kept disturbing MJ as I was trying to get her back to sleep. Finally I took Kay back up to her room with a cup of milk and told her that she had to stay there. MJ and I were then able to fall back asleep on the couch...

The next thing I knew I woke up when Luke came into the room and I asked him what time it was. It was 7:15 and I had not heard M&M get up yet and she is supposed to leave for the bus stop at 7:20. I quickly got up and called down the stairs and sure enough, M&M was still asleep. When she woke up she looked at the clock and started to get hysterical. I told her not to worry and just get herself ready for school - DH or I could drive her to school if she missed the bus. I guess she decided that she would rather hurry up and get herself to the bus stop. So she managed to get herself ready and out the door in about 5 minutes!! The funny part about this is that on Tuesday I was thinking about writing up a blog entry about how proud I was of M&M and her ability to get herself up for school in the mornings. Since Christmas break, she has been able to get herself up just fine every morning and quite often I am still in bed when she leaves (mostly because of the sleep deprivation I am experiencing due to Kay and MJ)...

After M&M left I went upstairs to get myself and the younger kids ready to get to the school by 8:15 for Blondie's Principal's Pride award (they do the awards ceremony before school). Kay was not a happy camper because of her lack of sleep the previous night, but we managed to make it to the school on time. After that, I decided that since we were all up and out already I would hit a couple of stores that I still had some returns from Christmastime to do. MJ managed to sleep through a good chunk of the shopping and was content until we made it home a little after 10:00.

My next chore for the day was to get some laundry done. So I went upstairs to get a few things from the hampers upstairs and I came across some wet pajamas and underwear from Kitty... I asked her if she had wet the bed last night - to which she didn't give me an answer (which means that she did). We have been struggling with her making it through the night dry ever since she was first potty trained. I have read that some kids just develop a little later with regards to this issue, so I haven't been too concerned. DH on the other hand doesn't like her wearing pull-ups to bed at her age so we tried before Christmastime to see if we could break her of it. After going several weeks where I was washing sheets 3-4 times a week, I said enough and bought her some more pull-ups again. Apparently though she went for a while without wetting the pull-ups so she decided on her own to stop wearing them to bed. I'm not sure how many days she has gone to bed without them, but I was telling DH last night that she had stopped on her own and was still dry - that is until last night!! Unfortunately she didn't tell me that it had happened and she had proceeded to make her bed (with the wet sheets) and piled a bunch of toys on top of it. I made her take everything off of her bed and get in the bathtub and put some more clean clothes on.

Then just about an hour ago I read on facebook that my midwife, who delivered my four middle kids, had her youngest daughter pass away in her sleep early this morning. I think she was just a few months older than Kay and she was born with most of her brain missing. My midwife's family adopted her when they heard about her from a friend that worked at the hospital where she was born. She was initially going to be adopted by another family but when she was born with her birth defects, the family didn't want her anymore. She was greatly loved by their family and never developed much beyond the newborn stage. She will be greatly missed by them, but she is in a better place now and not suffering anymore. So while they knew her life would be short because of her condition, it is still sad to hear about her leaving this life.

So can I hit the restart button now??

0 comments: