Monday, March 7, 2011

Sleeping dilemma

We have recently had to make a temporary change to the sleeping arrangements in our household. Ever since we moved MJ into the crib we have had problems with her and Kay waking each other up at night. About half the time when MJ would wake up, Kay would also and she would then proceed to follow me around the house wherever I took MJ to feed her. On other occasions, Kay would wake up on her own for some reason and come into my room to crawl into bed with me. Sometimes I don't mind it, but sometimes I do. She tends to move around a lot when trying to get to sleep and quite often will end up keeping me and DH awake. But, whenever I would try and take her back to her bed she would start screaming and would then wake up MJ.

About two weeks ago I told DH that we had to come up with some new solution, at least temporarily, until we get them both sleeping better through the night. So we posed two possible solutions to the kids and let them pick the one they wanted to try. Option one was to have Kitty and Kay switch beds temporarily. That would put MJ and Kitty together with Kitty back in the toddler bed and then Kay would sleep on the bottom bunk in the room with Blondie. Option two was to move the toddler bed into the room with Blondie and Kitty and have the three girls in one room and then MJ in a room by herself - again just temporarily.

Of course they chose option two, so that evening I moved some of the toys and shelves around and made room for Kay's bed in the room with Blondie and Kitty. The only problem with this arrangement is that now the kids think it is playtime when they should be trying to go to sleep. Also most of the toys are now in the room that MJ sleeps in, so I have to be very diligent about trying to keep Kay out of there when MJ is sleeping.

Aside from those two issues, I am finally getting some more sleep and MJ and Kay are both sleeping better at night. The couple of times that Kay has woken up at night I have been able to get her back into her own bed without the screaming.

0 comments: