Thursday, May 5, 2011

Spring break - Bryce Canyon

Saturday, April 23, 2011
On Saturday we checked out of our hotel and headed to Bryce Canyon National Park for a quick visit on our way back home. First we stopped off at Kolob Canyon which is an extension of Zion Canyon. We just drove through it and got out for a few pictures and then headed back to the highway. Then we drove over some mountain passes to get to Bryce Canyon. Wow what a difference the change in elevation makes!! We were sitting in the car watching the outdoor temperature drop and drop until it got just below freezing and then started back up again. We had several feet of snow along the sides of the road and it was really foggy because the clouds were so low! A few of the kids were dressed in shorts so we went digging through the bags to find pants and jackets for everyone to wear.

These pictures were all taken out of the car window as we were driving.
The kids had fun playing with our walkie-talkies in the car and trying to carry on conversations between the two cars that we were traveling in. The best part was when we saw all the snow and I asked Blondie if she wanted to go play in the snow. She responded, "No! I forgot my snow boots!

Bryce Canyon was probably in the 50s but there was a super cold breeze that made it feel even colder! It was also really muddy in spots and the stroller wheels got covered in mud along with everyone's shoes. We ate lunch once we got to Bryce Canyon (and we got in for free again) and then went on a couple of short hikes just along the upper rim of the canyon. It is a beautiful canyon and some of the pictures that we took look completely fake to me!
MJ was not too crazy about wearing the hood on her jacket. I'm glad I was able to find some shoes for her before we left for the trip. I think they helped to keep her warm. Blondie is wearing my fleece pull-over because Kitty had forgotten her jacket and Blondie had brought two with her, but Kitty was wearing the warmer one so Blondie claimed she was too cold in the lighter jacket.

This picture looks fake to me. I think it looks like Blondie was photoshopped into the picture!

After we made it to one of the lookouts with the family, we were hiking back to the car when Kitty all of a sudden needed to use the restroom. So I was walking ahead with her and Luke and pushing MJ in the stroller. We were getting closer to the parking lot and restrooms when I could tell that I really needed to hurry with Kitty. So I left MJ with Luke and took off running with Kitty. Luckily we made it just in time! At this point DH wanted to hike on to the next lookout with some of the older kids so he had my parents take MJ and Kay and meet up with me at the restrooms while he continued on with the older three kids. My parents and I drove on to the next lookout to meet up with them. Then I had my parents take Kay and Kitty up to the lookout while I stayed in the car and took care of MJ.



Kitty and Kay running back to the car hand in hand.

We got back home until a little after 9 p.m.

0 comments: