Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Ugly tree!

We have the ugliest apple tree that I have ever seen! It is definitely in need of a good pruning! There are 2 branches that shoot straight up and there wasn't a single apple on either of them this year.

I was amazed though at how many apples we got from the tree this year. We were very diligent this year about spraying the tree with insecticide (every 2 weeks). This has to be done here in Utah or the tree gets infested with codling moth and all the apples will have worms. I have picked three plastic grocery bags full of the apples so far and there are still some on the tree. The apples are Granny Smith and the first year we lived here I picked them too early and the apple pie that I made was very, very tart. This year I had to pick them a little earlier than I wanted to because one of the branches was overloaded with apples and was starting to break. I was concerned that it was too early again but I didn't have any choice if we wanted to save the branch. I made apple crisp this weekend with some of the apples and it was delicious! Hooray! I gave one bag of the apples to my parents and now I need to figure out how to preserve the rest of them.

1 comments:

Vonae said...

I like that you have a apple tree. We might need to plant one and get rid of one of our plum trees. I know that the girls would love to pick some apples right off the tree.