Friday, August 27, 2010

First sewing project

M&M has expressed interest in learning how to sew and I thought that it might be a fun project for her to try and make her own skirt this summer before school started. A few weeks after MJ was born and after the elementary school kids were in school we finally managed to take a trip to the fabric store one morning. I had an idea on how she could make an easy skirt and so we just went there to look for fabric and hopefully buy some. M&M was initially looking for some fabric to match a purple skirt that she has, but we had a hard time finding anything that would match that she liked. As we were getting ready to leave empty-handed I saw a fabric that stood out to me and had a color of flower in it that I thought would match a shirt that she owned. I pointed it out to her and she liked it as well so we ended up buying it.

M&M just wanted a simple skirt that was gathered at the waist so we used a pattern piece from another pattern that we have and just cut out a front and back section that she then sewed together. Then she folded over the top to make a casing for elastic and then just hemmed it. The skirt turned out really cute and the fabric matches her shirt exactly. She finished it in just two days of working on it (I had to go back to the fabric store to buy elastic that I thought I had already). She was able to wear it to church on Sunday along with some new shoes that she just bought. When we get another chance we may go to another fabric store to look for some fabric for another skirt to match her purple shirt now.

0 comments: