Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Whoops!

This morning M&M was able to ride the bus for the first time in the morning. With the bus and carpooling she had to leave at about the same time everyday - around 7:20 a.m. This morning I was lying in bed kind of half awake and I heard the front door open and close around that time so I assumed it was M&M leaving for the bus stop. Then I heard Luke and Kitty downstairs eating breakfast and I went to get Blondie up to make sure she was feeling fine and able to go to school. So I was in my bedroom with MJ a few minutes later when M&M comes into my room in her pajamas and hysterical because she had just gotten up! (She claimed that her alarm didn't go off, but there have been many times when I have been downstairs and heard her alarm going off for a long time before I finally called down to her to get up and turn her alarm off!) It was around 7:45 and school starts at 7:50. I told her to stop being hysterical and to quickly get herself ready for school and I would drive her as soon as she was ready.

M&M was quite upset on the drive to school because she was late to 1st period and she wasn't sure what to do. I told her to go to the attendance office first and tell them that she slept in and missed the bus and see if there was any kind of checking in that she needed to do before she headed off to class. Hopefully M&M was able to calm down and get control of herself quickly. I keep trying to teach my kids that crying will not help you solve any of your problems. Once something has happened that you can't change, you just need to pull yourself together and carry on as best you can from that point forward. It's okay to cry every now and then, but once you're finished crying, those problems will still be there - they won't just disappear.

Hopefully in a few days M&M will be able to talk about this day and laugh about it! Our mistakes can help us if we choose to learn from them and not repeat them!

0 comments: