Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Swimming lessons

January 2-18

While the kids were off-track for 2 1/2 weeks after Christmas (except for M&M), I signed the four middle kids up for swimming lessons.  I wanted to get them involved in something to keep them busy while they were off of school so that they wouldn't just sit around bored every day.  Luke and Blondie were in the same level class and I was able to get on the computer early enough on the open registration day so that I could get them both in the class together.  Then Kitty and Kay were in lower classes that were offered at the time slot just after Luke and Blondie.  So we would show up for lessons and Kitty, Kay, MJ and I would usually stay in the kiddie pool until Luke and Blondie's class was finished and then I would take Kitty and Kay to their lessons while the older kids and MJ and I would hang out in the big pool.  The pool has a lazy river and the kids and I would try to walk backwards up the river for some exercise - it really works your legs (especially when I am holding MJ in my arms)!

MJ finally got confident enough on the alligator slide that she would climb up the steps and go down by herself.  It was a little scary for her the first couple of days and I would have to catch her right as she got to the bottom of the slide.  By the end she would go down and get herself right up to standing after she reached the bottom of the slide.

It's fun watching the kids get more competent and confident in their swimming.  It also definitely takes a lot of stress off of me to not have to watch the older ones every second!

It was quite a chore for me to go swimming with them and then afterwards have to get all the girls changed into dry clothes.  The outside temperature never got above freezing during their time off-track so going home in our swimsuits was not really an option.  There was a lady once who saw me with all four of the girls in the locker room getting everyone dressed and she said that I should get mother of the century award for taking 4 young kids swimming in the middle of the winter.  She was quite amazed.  I thought it was funny.  (And the whole time I was thinking that I actually had 5 kids with me - just my son had to use the men's locker room.)

On the last day of lessons, M&M was able to come with us because she was off of school for the end of the semester.  And I finally remembered to bring my camera so I could take a few pictures.
Kay making her flying leap off the steps in the kiddie pool.
MJ's flying leap - she does one step at a time.

M&M, Kitty, Kay and MJ playing in the kiddie pool during Luke and Blondie's lesson.
MJ sitting on the steps.

MJ going down the alligator slide.

Luke and Kitty playing some basketball.

Kay going down the alligator slide.

Kay practicing some swimming.

0 comments: