Thursday, June 20, 2013

Stucco repair

Friday, May 24

We recently had some stucco repair done on our house.  It has been a problem for quite a while but we just finally got around to getting it taken care of.  I got a referral of a construction company from a neighbor who had some repair done on their stucco last year.  The company came out and gave me an estimate and after the sent it to me and I sent it back in agreeing to it, they sent a worker out to repair it. I was out in the garden when he stopped by - and I didn't even know they would be sending someone out that day.  The front section of our house here did not have any flashing installed when it was built so the water has been dripping down the side of the house and then got in under the stucco and caused cracks all down the side.  When the worker took the stucco off, the plywood underneath was all rotting and wet still from rain several days ago.  Unfortunately that part of the house never sees the sun because it is on the north side of the house.  The worker tore down all of the stucco and plywood on the section of the house and then reinstalled it and added the flashing to the roof.  Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the before, but this is what it looked like when he left on Friday.  I guess it is a type of stucco primer.

Then with it being Memorial Day weekend, he didn't return to finish the job until Tuesday.  Unfortunately we got some rain over the weekend and it was still dripping down the side.  I asked the worker about that when he came back on Tuesday and he said that that happened because he hadn't sealed the flashing to the side of the stucco yet (maybe he needed to wait until it dried and then painted it).

Here are some pictures of the finished product.  I think he did a good job matching the paint and he even left the leftover paint for us in case we want to do touchup work on the house anywhere.  Overall I was pretty pleased with the work that was done and would call the company again if we needed it.  (Although I'm not sure if it has rained since the work was finished!)

0 comments: