Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Conversations

There have been a lot of funny conversations taking place in our family lately. Here are just a few:

1. On Sunday we went to church in Perry to listen to a cousin speak who had just returned from a mission. Immediately after that we drove to my parents' house for dinner. As we were heading out to the car to return home after eating a big dinner and dessert Kitty said, "I missed snack time, so can I have a snack now?" (We have a designated snack time at our house - 3:00 - so that I don't have the kids bugging me all day long about eating.)

2. I drove M&M to school yesterday for band practice (it is after school and we are off-track right now). We got there a few minutes early so I parked in front of the school and turned the car off. After school let out M&M got out and I tried to start the car. Well, I turned the key and nothing happened - no dashboard lights, no engine clicking noises - nothing. I knew that since there was absolutely no response and I had just been driving the car that it was most likely a bad connection with the battery. I tried a few more times and the kids started getting concerned that the car wouldn't start. I decided that I would wait a few minutes for the buses and most of the people to leave before I got out to take a look under the hood. In the meantime there was a lot of conversation going on in the car as to what we should do. Luke said that it was too far to walk home. He suggested that we find someone's phone that we could borrow. Then Blondie said, "I know! We should call the police. They will come and help us!"

While I was waiting for the buses to leave I pulled the owner's manual out of the glove compartment to see if it had any words of wisdom for just such an occasion - nothing (Surprise!). Then I popped the hood and took a look at the battery. There was some corrosion around the posts but I was able to wiggle the connectors a little. Then I got back in the car to try starting it again and as soon as I opened the door the kids all said, "The light came on!" Then they pointed to the glove compartment, that I had left open, to let me know that the light in the glove compartment was on - apparently they have never seen a light on in there before - and which was a good sign that I would be able to start the car up. :)

3. Last night for FHE we were sharing a story about one of DH's ancestors. We were trying to explain the connection between them and the ancestor and mentioned that the wife's name was Sarah Jane. This is who Kitty is named after and she said, "Me?!? He married me?!? Did he kiss me?!?" The part that makes it even funnier is that her name is not exactly the same but she recognized the similarity enough to respond like that.

4. Today as I was driving with the kids in the van I took my right hand off the steering wheel to change the radio station. Kitty saw that my hand wasn't on the steering wheel and said, "Hey! No one's driving the car!" Then Blondie piped up, "No. Mom's driving the car, she's just not steering the spinning wheel..."

I think we've been watching a little too much Sleeping Beauty lately...

0 comments: