Friday, September 25, 2009

Cub Scouts

When I was called to be a cub scout den leader almost a year ago now, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing and I was given a new partner that also was just called. We learned quickly together and then she had some family issues come up and asked to be released. Well, since then (back in March) I have been running my den solo and it has definitely been a lot of work. I have been surprised with this calling and how much time is involved because of the weekly den meetings that you are supposed to have. It is quite a challenge coming up with activities that will keep the boys busy and interested and at the same time accomplishing things that will get them closer to earning their rank and other, extra awards. The primary presidency has finally found a new partner for me but she has some other obligations to take care of before she will be joining me (she is partly in charge of our Relief Society Friday craft night that will take place on October 9th). The hardest part about being partnerless is that there have been activities where I need to have a second adult with me (such as field trips) and it has been hard to find a parent sometimes that can/is willing to step in and help us out. (And my husband has graciously helped out a few times when he has been able to.)

Cub Scouts has definitely been a learning experience for me and I'm glad that I've had this opportunity to serve. I have learned so much about the cub scout program and it has definitely helped in a good way for Luke because I know how the program works and what he needs to do to earn his awards as well. Plus Luke has benefited in earning a few extra awards that my den has worked on and I've allowed him to participate in as well - hey, since I'm doing the work I may as well let my own son earn some extra things too...

Right now our den is about to undergo a big change as I have just lost one of our really dependable scouts (he just turned 10) and I am gaining three new scouts in the next week! I'm not sure that I like how the church runs cub scouts because in most non-LDS packs, the dens stay together for the whole school year and then they move up as a den. In the church, the boys move up to the next level on their birthday so the dens are constantly losing and gaining scouts throughout the whole year. It makes it really hard to plan sometimes and try and remember what each boy still needs to work on since they are all at different spots in their advancements. It's also hard to do activities that some of the boys need when the others have already completed the requirements.

I can definitely say that I am not the best den leader out there, or the most gung-ho about the position, but I am doing the best that I can and I have had several parents approach me or my husband to let me know that they appreciate all that I do and that their boys really enjoy coming to scouts. And still, almost a year later, there are some things that I know nothing about - like pinewood derby which our pack is having next month!! Wish me luck!!

0 comments: