Friday, February 5, 2016

Girls Camping Adventure!

July 8 & 9, 2015

So while DH and Luke were on the High Adventure Camp, I had the crazy idea to take the girls camping! They ask about it all the time and once Kay asked if girls could go camping - since she has really only seen her dad and brother go!

So Wednesday afternoon we packed up all of our camping gear and food and headed to Mirror Lake. I have never camped here before but from what I could tell online it was a nice campsite and I was a little familiar with the area since we have hiked here several times.

I think the camp hosts were a little impressed to see a mom out there with a bunch of girls, setting up a tent and making a campfire! We got there and found a campsite that looked decent and not too far from the bathrooms and then we set up our tent. After that we went for a hike around the lake and then bought some firewood from the camp hosts and then ate some dinner and attempted to start a fire. Unfortunately it had been raining some when we first got there so a lot of the wood was wet and hard to burn. We got a small fire started but had a hard time keeping it going. We were able to roast some marshmallows and make some s'mores which the girls enjoyed. We then went to bed in the tent and proceeded to freeze most of the night! I had brought all of the sleeping bags and pads that we had and had even brought all of the extra blankets that we could, but it got super cold that night! Plus it rained most of the night and by the time we got up in the morning we were starting to get some puddles in the tent!

I didn't sleep very well because I was so concerned about the girls being warm enough - especially MJ who was sleeping right next to me and kept moving around and rolling out of her blankets!

We originally had the plan to stay two nights if the girls wanted to but with how cold and wet everything got that first night we decided to pack everything up and head home in the morning. Once we made it home we had to hang everything out to dry on our deck. The sun felt so warm at our house though!!

It was a fun experience and I'm glad that we did it. And I know I surprised DH when he found out!

Some cows alongside the road on Mirror Lake Hwy.

Kay walking back to the campsite.
Hiking around the lake - the poses that the younger two make crack me up!


And of course we have to stop along the way to throw rocks into the water!
Our campfire

0 comments: