Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Ovarian Cancer Run

Saturday, September 12, 2015

September is Ovarian Cancer awareness month. Every year there is a 5K fundraiser that is held in Salt Lake during the month. I heard about it the first year after I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer but it has always ended up being on a Saturday that I have had something else going on and I haven't been able to attend. This year I was able to go and I took Kitty, Kay and MJ along with me - DH and the older kids all had something else going on.

The race takes place at Sugar House Park and you basically just walk/run around the loop of the park. It isn't really a 5K unless you do the whole thing twice - which most people don't do. It was pretty chilly when we first got there and the girls all stood around freezing, waiting for the sun to come out. We got these nice free shirts (although you have to pay to register for the run). And unfortunately the smallest size they had was an adult XS - which drowned the girls!

There were quite a few people there and I even ran into my doctor and the psychologist/social worker from the office. They were both there with their kids.

When it was finally time to start the run we went up to the starting line and they sounded the gun to start and MJ and Kay took off running! Kitty and I were trying to call out to them to slow down and we were trying to catch up to them! It was pretty funny. I guess when they heard the starting gun they just wanted to go and race! I was a little concerned of losing track of them with all of the people that were there. At one point MJ finally slowed down and turned around to look for me. I still couldn't get Kay's attention though and at one point we were at the top of a hill and she had already gone around the corner and was at the bottom of the hill when I was finally able to get her attention and then she climbed up the hill to us. And then what I suspected would happen did happen - they both ran out of steam and were moaning and complaining the whole last 1/3 or so of the race. At one point I had to carry MJ for a little bit until I was able to talk her into walking again... The girls did really good on the whole and they were very excited to finally see the finish line! They also had some treats at the end provided by Trader Joe's - bananas, oranges, granola bars and water bottles.

Before the race
If you look closely you can see MJ at the back of that pack in front of me - running her little heart out! Kay at this point is ahead of her somewhere.
MJ finally stopped and waiting for us. If I remember correctly she is eating a lollipop that she got before the race.
We finally got Kay's attention and she is running up the hill to join us.
At the end of the race - it was a little too bright and sunny for these girls!

0 comments: