Friday, July 18, 2008

Big move

I've been a little behind in my blogs lately because we have been making some big moves in our house the last week and a half. Two Sundays ago I was putting Baby K down for a nap and was thinking how nice it would be to be able to put her in a crib in a separate room from my bedroom so I can just shut the door and not have anyone disturb her. Baby K is still sleeping in our room and I still want her nearby at night but during the day it would be nice to have another room to put her in. A couple hours later my husband was coming down the stairs from the bedrooms and commented that maybe it's about time to move some of the kids down to the basement. Sometimes it's funny how a married couple can come to the same conclusions without any discussion. I mentioned to DH that I had come to that same conclusion earlier that day and so we decided to move forward with our big move that week.

We had been thinking about moving some of the kids downstairs since we were expecting Baby K. At the time the kids were squished two to a room upstairs and the bedrooms are tiny (this has been one of our biggest complaints about this house). There's been a lot of discussion about who we would move and where we would move them to. Ideally I think that Blondie & Kitty would do well sharing a room since they're so close in age and have a lot of the same interests, but they're a little too young to move down by themselves. So we decided to move M&M and Blondie downstairs with their bunk beds and then Kitty would move out of Luke's room and into the room that Blondie & M&M had been sharing upstairs. Then Kitty will be moved out of the crib and into the toddler size bed that we have so that Kitty & Baby K will share a room. DH's concern has been in giving Luke his own room, but we can't really avoid it with an odd number of kids and Luke being the only boy.

It has been a lot of work and we still don't have everything where I want it to be yet. When we were cleaning out the girls room upstairs I came across a hidden art project on the wall behind some shelves that Blondie did in dark blue marker. We weren't able to get it off completely and there is some patching that needs to be done on that same wall so DH wants to patch the wall and then repaint the whole room. Because of this we haven't gotten the toddler bed out yet and we don't have much in the room so that it will be easier to paint (hopefully this will be done tomorrow).

We moved the bunk beds last Thursday and M&M and Blondie have been enjoying sleeping downstairs. The basement is probably 5-10 degrees cooler than the upstairs so we had to put some more blankets on the beds down there. On Friday we picked up a dresser & chest of drawers set from my parents that they don't need and that went down to the girls bedroom as well. DH has been excited to see the room down there being used for a bedroom instead of a toy room that was never kept clean.

Our big problem lately has been trying to figure out where to put the toys and how best to organize everything in the bedrooms. The only room that is almost completely organized the way I want it is Luke's room. Right now the toys are all piled into my sewing/project room and it's getting messier in there everyday!

I bought some really cute area rugs to put into each of the bedrooms and when I was opening the one for Luke's room I noticed that it says on the packaging that they are not to be used on carpet because the color may transfer. Well this totally bummed me out because our house has wall to wall carpeting that is a very light color and DH would kill me if the carpets got ruined. So my only option now is to try and find some rug pads that can be put under the rugs to protect the carpet. If I can't find any at a reasonable price I will have to just return them. I was hoping to use them to add some color to the rooms and to make them look a little more put together. So, if anyone knows of a store where I can buy rug pads that are made to be used over carpet, please let me know...

I will post pictures once we're done with organizing & finding a place for everything.

0 comments: