Friday, September 28, 2012

Band Camp

August 9-21

M&M is doing marching band at the high school this year.  It seems kind of weird because she will still be attending the middle school, but I will need to pick her up a couple times a week immediately following school to take her over to the high school for rehearsals.  They started with a band camp that was just at the high school.  Her first day was just for new people to the program and went from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.  The remainder of the days were 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.!!  Unfortunately the person writing their drill didn't finish the drill for the last song until a couple of weeks after school started so they are a little behind as far as the season goes.

Can I just say that watching M&M and the marching band has brought back so many memories for me!!  I remember the long, intense rehearsals, the hours in the sun (or cold), the super busy weeks and weekends with rehearsals, football games & competitions!  I really enjoy it when I am able to get to her rehearsals before they end so that I can watch them.  And she is really enjoying the whole experience, it's been nice!  I will periodically try and post pictures as the season goes along.

So now we are going to play a game called, "Where is M&M?"  See if you can find her in these pictures from band camp.  They had to bring a white shirt to camp so they could write their dot number on it to make it easier to form the sets and make sure that everyone is in the right spot.  They had to wear this shirt everyday to camp.

Standing in straight lines - pretty good...

This picture cracks me up because they do a crazy kind of a zig zag move their first few sets which is supposed to look like a snake swerving back and forth.  I think M&M says that they call this a "jazz run".
Standing in diagonal lines - could use a little work...

0 comments: