Friday, September 28, 2012

That's what fries are made from?

Monday, September 3

Labor Day - We wanted to take the family to the Brigham City Temple open house and about a week and a half before this day I was able to find some tickets for the open house online for Labor Day.  I thought that this would work perfectly for our family because with the kids in school and marching band practices and football games, not to mention the soccer practices and games that had started up already, we didn't have a lot of available time.

I got tickets for the earliest time available - early afternoon.  We ate an early lunch and got everyone dressed up for the event and drove up to Brigham City - a little bit more than an hour drive from our house.  My parents also got tickets to go through at the same time.  We arrived in Brigham City and parked where they directed us to and then got in line to wait for the shuttle bus to the temple.  The line was fairly long and it was a hot, sunny day.  We waited and waited and there were a few buses that came and dropped people off and then left empty to return to the temple to pick up more people.  One of the workers said that the wait at the temple was about 2 hours - just to get in the door.  At this point we had been waiting an hour already.  People ahead of us in line kept leaving.  Finally we made it onto a bus, took the ride to the temple, saw the huge line that was there and decided to go back to our cars and return home.  There was no way our kids were going to last waiting another 2 hours in the hot blazing sun.  My parents had a dinner engagement for early in the evening and weren't able to wait either.  We were very disappointed.  We found out later that most people that went that day didn't even bother to get tickets, parked in the neighborhood around the temple and walked straight there and got in line.  Those of us that followed the directions that were given and actually had tickets to attend the open house ended up getting hurt in the long run...

None of us were in very good moods when we finally made it back home.  Once again it was getting close to my favorite time of the day (not!) - dinner time!  I was in the mood for some french fries so I found a recipe online that I had all of the ingredients for and got some potatoes out and started cutting them into long strips.  Luke saw what I was doing and I asked him if he could guess what I was making.  He had no idea and when I told him they were french fries he said in disbelief, "That's what fries are made from?"  I informed him that yes they were made from potatoes, but I still don't think he believed me until I pulled them out of the oven once they were done and he finally thought that they looked (and tasted) like french fries!

I thought that they could have used a little more seasoning, but other than that they were really good.  If anyone would like the recipe, here it is:  Zesty Oven Baked Fries

0 comments: