Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Adventures at the Dr's office

Since the kids haven't started school yet (they start Monday) I had to take them all with me to Baby K's doctor's appointment on Monday and it was quite the scene. On the way there I heard Baby K filling up her diaper so I changed her in the parking lot before we went inside. Once in there things were fine until we got back into the examining room. Luke would not sit still to save his life and kept getting in the way and was driving me up the wall. Aside from that things were fine until they were done with Baby K.

Next Blondie had to get some final immunizations for kindergarten and she was not happy about it at all. So we were discussing what treat she wanted to get afterwards (ice cream or donuts) and Luke almost broke out into tears because Blondie picked donuts and Luke really wanted ice cream instead. I told him that if he was getting the shots then he could pick, but to him everything is just so unfair if the world doesn't revolve around him...

When the nurse came in and Blondie started out by hiding under my chair and didn't want to come out. I finally was able to get her out and sat her on my lap and she started freaking out and then Kitty wanted to sit on my lap as well. I told Kitty to go sit with M&M so I could concentrate on Blondie - which she didn't do. So I was holding Blondie on my lap while Kitty was standing next to us watching in horror. Blondie absolutely screamed when the nurse stuck the first needle into her arm. I kept telling her not to watch but she couldn't keep her eyes off those needles. :( Blondie got two shots in each arm and was pretty traumatized.

After she settled down a little she was able to go out and pick a prize from the prize drawer as well as a sticker. Kitty then got very upset because she wasn't able to pick out a prize as well and wanted me to carry her. I was carrying Baby K in her car carrier and didn't want to have to carry Kitty as well. So I told her that I would hold her hand but she just started screaming and threw herself on the floor. I finally picked her up so we could at least make it out to the reception area and there I had to make the next appointment for Baby K.

Then we left and tried to make our way out to the elevator and Kitty still wanted me to carry her. I finally convinced Kitty to get on the elevator with us but she was still screaming and throwing herself around. Once we got to the main floor and out of the elevator Kitty would walk a couple of steps and then drop to her knees on the hard tile floor, screaming and crying. Finally I just picked her up in a football carry and held her tight so it was uncomfortable for her until we got to the car. By the time we made it to the store to buy donuts Kitty had finally settled down but she was sent to her room once we got home (and so was Luke for not obeying me in the examining room).

0 comments: