Friday, August 8, 2008

Strawberry cake

I made this cake for my birthday this year and both DH and M&M loved it so much that they wanted seconds (and they are not normally cake lovers). M&M told me that she wanted that cake for her birthday so I made it for her party on Saturday. My parents both loved it as well so I am including the recipe here for anyone that would like to try it. It is a very light cake with a cream cheese icing. (I have only made it without the strawberries in the frosting because I was afraid that that would overdo it on the strawberry flavor for me.)

Light Strawberry Cake
1 box white or yellow cake mix
1 small (4 servings) package sugar-free strawberry gelatin
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup strawberries, thawed if frozen, pureed if fresh
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 egg whites

Frosting:
2 tablespoons butter, softened
4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
Strawberries and juice to moisten (about 2 tablespoons) - or 1 1/2 T milk + 1 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray cake pan(s) with nonstick cooking spray and dust lightly with flour. Set aside

2. Place the cake mix, strawberry gelatin and flour in large bowl and mix together. In another bowl, combine the strawberries, water and oil. Pour wet ingredients all at once over dry ingredients and combine. Add the egg whites, one at a time, beating after each addition. This should take several minutes.

3. Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and bake for about 25 minutes. Remove from pan(s) and cool on rack.

4. For frosting: In a large bowl, mix together butter and cream cheese. Add powdered sugar and beat well. Add strawberries a little at a time until the icing is a good spreading consistency.

5. Frost the cake and then refrigerate.

0 comments: