Thursday, August 7, 2008

Heat

We just returned from a HOT day at Utah's Hogle Zoo. It was nice to walk into our COOL, air conditioned house - thanks to my husband who fixed the air conditioner the other day and he also fixed our leaky dishwasher a couple of weeks ago. It's nice having a handyman around the house!

There's something different about Utah's heat that really zaps the energy from me. Growing up in Virginia with the high humidity I don't remember being so tired whenever I spent a day in the sun. I finally made it out to our garden the other day because it was overcast all day and felt great outside! Because Utah is closer to the sun you can definitely get burned quicker here and we go day after day after day with not a single cloud in the sky. I long for the days when it rains or when we even just have clouds in the sky! One benefit to low humidity though is that if you can find some shade it feels much cooler than being out in the sun.

Our garden has definitely been neglected this summer, mostly due to Baby K. I just didn't have the time or energy to plant anything this year. Because of that the garden has completely gone to the weeds. Some of the weeds are as tall as I am! I spent a good part of the day on Tuesday pulling weeds with the kids. I filled up the garbage can and we have probably another 2 garbage can size piles of weeds pulled that will have to wait until next week. And that's only about half of the garden...

0 comments: