Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Blondie starts kindergarten!

Today was Blondie's first day of kindergarten! She was 2 weeks old when we moved into this house and M&M started kindergarten. I can't believe that it's Blondie's turn now! She has been super excited and nervous all at the same time. This morning M&M woke her up at 6:45 to start getting ready for school (probably a little earlier than Blondie needs to get up). She got right up though and got herself dressed and then ran upstairs to get on her shoes and backpack (which we had gotten ready the night before). I was on the couch with Baby K and told her that she could take her backpack off and eat some breakfast first. The kids don't have to leave for the bus stop until 8:00.

After seeing her off to the bus stop and waiting for the bus to come, I hopped in the car with Kitty and we drove to school to help Blondie find where to line up and wait for her teacher. Blondie said that she sat next to M&M on the bus and kept sliding off the seat. :)

At school we found where her class was supposed to line up and then her teacher came out and was saying "hi" to the kids. Then when the bell rang the teacher started counting the kids and wanted to wait a few extra minutes for the few kids that were missing. I started looking around at the class and noticed that there were very few boys lined up. I only counted 4 boys there and there are 24 kids in the class! I asked the teacher if the class was mostly girls and she said that it was. (Luke's kindergarten class had almost 3 girls for every boy and this class looks like it's 4 girls for every boy!) Blondie certainly doesn't mind though being from a family with mostly girls - she thinks boys are stinky!

After waiting for a few minutes the teacher started to take the class into the school (and found that the door was locked). So she sent someone around to open up the door for them. Then Kitty and I waved one last time to Blondie and she went off into the school.

So far I have only gotten teary-eyed when M&M started kindergarten. Luke didn't faze me at all because socially he was very ready for it and then it wasn't too bad watching Blondie go off into the school either. I will probably get a little more emotional when I send our last one though. One thing that definitely helps is knowing that she has two older siblings on the bus and at school with her if she needs help. I realized the other day that this is the first time in our family life that I have had more then half of our kids in school. It is a nice break in the mornings that goes by rather fast.

At around 11:30 we went out to the corner to wait for the bus and I crossed my fingers hoping that Blondie would be on it - and she was. She had a great first day and didn't even seem particularly tired - but she was hungry!

1 comments:

Kami said...

How was Kitty at home without her big sister?