Thursday, August 7, 2008

August trip to the zoo


I really don't care to go to the zoo in the summer because it is usually so hot! My mom called the other day and asked if I was interested in taking the kids to the zoo since they go back to school soon and we had a couple of cooler days this week. At first I said that no I didn't want to go - I have a hard time changing my plans last minute sometimes and had planned on doing laundry and grocery shopping today. After thinking about it some more I finally relented and decided to go if we could get there before it got too hot. The only benefit I see to visiting the zoo in the summer is that they usually have some animal shows that they don't have during the rest of the year - such as a pretty cool bird show.

So we met at the zoo around 9:30 a.m. and stayed there until around 2:30. By the time we left I was dying of the heat and looking forward to getting the kids and especially Baby K out of it as well. We took a train ride, saw the bird show, ate lunch and then saw a short big cats show with a leopard. The bird show was awesome! We saw some penguins that all took a swim together and we also had fun watching a 3-year old orangutan swing around in her play area. Baby K did great and took a good nap there.

One benefit to year-round school is that we can do fun things when it's cooler out and not just in the summer months. So I don't anticipate us going to the zoo again until October when the kids are off-track - and the weather is perfect! Now I just need to recover from my heat stroke...

0 comments: