Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Going solo

DH came home from work Friday not feeling too well and things just got progressively worse on Saturday. He had some extremely intense pain in his abdomen that peaked Saturday night. He thinks that it may be in the appendix area where he had inflammation previously a couple of years ago (they almost performed an appendectomy but the surgeon talked him out of it). On Saturday he tried to work through the pain and managed to get some work done on a woodworking project (making shelves for our food storage). By nighttime though he was in some pretty intense pain and thought it unlikely that he would make it to church the next day. So I started trying to figure out how I would juggle all 5 kids at church since leaving any of them home with a sick dad is just not an option - the biggest problem being what to do with Baby K while I play the piano in primary.

Sunday morning came and I got all the kids ready for 9 a.m. church and we even got there a few minutes early. (I even had them in their nice dresses from my sister's wedding with their hair curled!) I had decided that I would just bring Baby K with me to primary and lay her down on some blankets behind me at the piano. Once I got to church I realized that Kitty hasn't been going to nursery lately and what would I do if she didn't go today? That would be one more kid to manage while I'm trying to play the piano. We stopped at the primary room first and dropped off all my stuff and I left Baby K there with M&M so I could take Luke and Blondie to their classes. As I started to leave, Kitty decided that she would stay with M&M too and climbed up on the seat next to her.

After dropping off Luke and Blondie I went back to the primary room to ask Kitty if I could take her to nursery - to which she agreed! So I took her to the nursery room and said goodbye to her and she was totally fine with me leaving - YEA!! I had M&M continue to hold Baby K during opening exercises and then I went and sat with her in the back of the primary room. I was considering having M&M hold Baby K again during singing time or laying her down behind the piano, but after talking a little with the primary president I decided to lay Baby K down in the back of the room with a few toys and if she started fussing someone in the presidency would take care of her - since I can't really do anything with her while I'm playing. So I laid her back in the corner on some blankets and then went back to play the piano for singing time. I had a little bit of a hard time doing this because I couldn't really see her at all while I was at the piano. If I moved to the side a little I could see her legs so I knew that when she was kicking them around she was alright.

After Senior primary was done, Junior primary came in. Luke's class sits in the back near where I laid Baby K so I told Luke to help keep an eye on her for me. During sharing time for junior primary I took Baby K to the mother's room and fed her and then I looked in on Kitty in nursery - she looked fine. Then I went back to the primary room and laid Baby K back down in the the back of the room again and she ended up falling asleep while junior primary was having singing time.

During Sacrament Meeting I had to go out and feed Baby K again and I just had Kitty come with me. Other than that Sacrament Meeting was pretty uneventful (at least as uneventful as can be expected with 5 young kids).

So we made it and the kids for the most part were awesome! It is definitely nice though having DH at church with us - he was definitely missed! And I'm definitely glad I'm not a single parent...

DH stayed home from work on Monday but was feeling well enough to go back on Tuesday. He still has some pain in his abdomen but nowhere near the degree it was on Saturday and Sunday.

0 comments: